By Chef Kenny Bowers
Yields 6 to 10 servings
- 12 ounces (3/4 of a loaf) white bread
- 3 cups whole milk
- salt, iodized, to taste
- black pepper, table grind, to taste
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 ounce basil, fresh, chopped 3/8” no stem
- 2 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 1/2 pounds ground pork
- Tear bread into small pieces approximately 1”. In a large bowl, combine milk and bread. MIX TOGETHER BY HAND, making sure bread is completely dissolved in milk to form a soupy paste-like consistency. Add salt, pepper, cheese, basil and mix. REFRIGERATE FOR AT LEAST 1 HOUR BEFORE NEXT STEP.
- Gently mix in meat making sure everything is evenly mixed.
- With slightly wet hands form 4 oz. wt. balls (approximately 20).
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 400 degrees for approximately 20 minutes until medium brown and an internal temperature of 160.
- Place meatballs in oven-proof dish, top with favorite marinara sauce, cover with mozzarella cheese, and bake until cheese is brown & bubbly. Approx. 3 minutes at 450 degrees.
Kenny Bowers is owner and executive chef of Kenny’s Wood Fired Grill (Dallas), Kenny’s Burger Joint (Plano and Frisco), Kenny’s Italian Kitchen (Dallas) and Kenny’s Authentic East Coast Pizza (Plano).