By George Geary | Certified Culinary Professional
Makes 6 to 10 Funnel Cakes
- Electric mixer
- Medium saucepan
- Candy/deep fry thermometer
- Pastry bag
- Wire rack
- 6 tablespoons of unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup of water, cool
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- Canola oil
- Confectioner’s sugar
Makes 2 cups
- 1 quart of fresh berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries)
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- A pinch of sea salt
For Funnel Cakes
- Combine butter, water, salt and sugar in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat and quickly stir in the flour.
- Return the pan to low heat and cook, stirring frequently, for about 3 minutes to cook the flour slightly and rid the mixture of a starchy, floury taste.
- Remove the pan from the heat and place the dough in the bowl of the mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until most of the steam has subsided, then add the eggs and egg whites, one at a time, until each is incorporated and a batter is formed.
- Pour 3 inches of oil into a stockpot and heat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the batter in a pastry bag that is fitted with a round pastry tip no wider than 1/4 inch in diameter.
- Holding the pastry bag over the hot oil, push the batter out into the hot oil in a zigzag or spiral shape. Fry no more than 1 large or 2 smaller funnel cakes at a time.
- Fry the cakes until puffed up and golden (they will triple in size), 3-5 minutes, flipping every 30 seconds or so.
- Drain the cakes on a rack and cool slightly, then sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar and Berry Topping.
For Berry Topping
- In a bowl, combine berries, sugar, and salt. Let stand for 30 minutes before serving.
Editor’s Note: Recipe and photo reprinted from FAIR FOODS: The Most Popular and Offbeat Recipes from America’s State and County Fairs by George Geary Santa Monica Press.
ABOUT GEORGE GEARY:
George Geary is an award-winning chef, best-selling author, and renowned educator. A former pastry chef for the Walt Disney Company, George is a Certified Culinary Professional, and was recently awarded as the Culinary Educator of the Year by the International Association of Culinary Professionals. He is perhaps best known for creating all the cheesecakes for The Golden Girls and other top-rated television programs.
George has worked as a critic and/or judge for ABC’s The Taste with Anthony Bourdain, The American Baking Competition with Jeff Foxworthy, Hell’s Kitchen, Supermarket Superstar, and many other popular television shows. For eight years, George was a guest chef on board the Holland America Line’s ships, sailing to over 118 countries and every continent.
For over thirty years, Geary has been a culinary contest judge for such major food manufacturers as Canola Producers, Veg-All, Hormel Foods, the Hershey Company, Knott’s Berry Farm Foods, Ghirardelli Chocolate, Fleischmann’s Yeast, the San Diego Union Tribune, ABC News, and many more. From 1982 to 2010, George was the culinary coordinator of the Los Angeles County Fair. Visit his website, www.GeorgeGeary.com.