This tart is sweet and zesty, creamy and refreshing, made with only a bunch of simple, vegan ingredients, perfect as a small dessert to share with a group of friends or family. It combines the crunchy texture of almond crust with the smoothest lemon filling that resembles lemon curd, but is 100% vegan.
Ingredients: (for 7” tart mold)
1 cup gluten free rolled oats
1 cup almond flour
pinch of salt
2 Tbsp coconut oil
2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
2 Tbsp cold water
3/4 cup full fat coconut milk
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
1/3 cup lemon juice
2 Tbsp cornstarch
½ tsp agar
1) Prepare the crust first. Add gluten free oats to a food processor and blitz until consistency of rough flour.
2) Add almond flour and salt to the food processor and blitz to combine with oat flour.
3) Add coconut oil and blend again. You should have a consistency of wet sand. Keep the blender running while slowly adding maple syrup and cold water, tablespoon by tablespoon. Stop and scrape the sides when necessary. At the end you will get sticky crumbles that hold together easily.
4) Preheat oven to 350F. Press the crust dough into a lined 7” round tart mold, preferably with removable bottom. Leave the edges high. Make holes in the crust with a fork and bake for 12 minutes. Remove from oven and place on a cooling rack to cool completely.
5) Prepare the filling. In a saucepan, heat coconut milk and maple syrup until simmering.
6) Add lemon juice, cornstarch, and agar to a small bowl and use a whisk to combine until powders dissolve.
7) Slowly pour cornstarch mixture to the pan with simmering coconut milk. Whisk energetically to combine both liquids. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 1 minute, whisking continuously. The mixture will become thick.
8) Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Whisk once in a while to make sure the filling stays smooth.
9) Pour cooled filling into the cooled tart crust. Place in the fridge for a couple of hours to set. Slice and enjoy!
Recipe courtesy of Fresh n’ Lean