By: Fresh n’ Lean
Classic comfort food with a healthy vegan twist. Packed with flavorful lentil mushroom filling hidden under a layer of creamy pureed potatoes. Rich, cozy, and satisfying, perfect for those chilly evenings.
Total time: 50 minutes
Ingredients: (serves 4)
Lentil mushroom layer:
1 tbsp olive oil
1 yellow onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 carrot, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
150g brown mushrooms, diced
2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
¼ tsp chili powder
½ tsp brown sugar
400g (2 cups) brown or green lentils, canned or cooked
1 tbsp tomato paste
¼ cup vegetable stock
800g potatoes, peeled and cut
3 tbsp plant milk
2 tbsp olive oil or vegan butter
¼ tsp nutmeg
Salt and pepper to taste
For serving: freshly chopped parsley
- Boil the potatoes for 12-15 minutes or until fork tender. Drain, add plant milk, olive oil or vegan butter, nutmeg, salt, and pepper and using a hand (immersion) blender or a potato masher, puree until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large deep skillet. Add onions, garlic, carrots, and celery. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add mushrooms, tamari or soy sauce, brown sugar, and chili. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until all liquid released by mushrooms evaporates.
- Add lentils, tomato paste, and vegetable stock. Stir well, bring to a simmer, and cook for 5 minutes or until all excess liquid evaporates.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Transfer lentil mushroom filling to a baking dish (8×8 inch or comparable). Top with mashed potatoes, gently spread the puree with a spoon.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then broil for 5 minutes or until you have a golden brown crust on top.
- Decorate with freshly chopped parsley and enjoy!