- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup buttermilk pancake mix
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup water (approx.)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar and other toppings
- Fill an 8-inch skillet halfway with oil, then turn it to medium heat until it reaches about 360 degrees.
- Add pancake mix to a bowl and whisk in the water, sugar, and vanilla. Batter should be the thickness of cake batter, not too runny and not too gooey. It should fall from the whisk like ribbons. Pour batter into a bottle with a 1/4-inch nozzle, or use a plastic sandwich baggie with the corner cut off.
- Test oil by dropping a small dot of batter in the pan. It should quickly float and bubble around the edges without burning. If oil is ready, quickly squeeze the batter in a circular motion into the frying pan, forming a 5-inch disk. Cook about a minute until golden brown on the bottom. Flip and cook other side, about 30 seconds to 1 minute, until golden brown.
- Remove from the oil and transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve warm.