Beat the Heat at The District!
by Lisa A. Beach
Looking for a great day trip or weekend getaway, perfect for families with teens and tweens? Check out The District, a new entertainment complex located at the Choctaw Casino Resort, a AAA Four Diamond property in Durant, OK.
That’s right–a casino. While Choctaw has historically appealed to vacationing adults and business travelers (thanks to its popular casino, conference center, and enticing amenities such as spas, pools, and concerts), that adults-only image is changing.
“Choctaw started out primarily attracting adults,” says Christina Black, Manager at The District. “But we’re drawing in the entire family now with the addition of our entertainment complex featuring movie theaters, a bowling alley, laser tag, and an arcade.”
Roughly a 90-minute drive from Dallas, The District will be a sure-fire hit with teens and tweens whether you head out for the day or stay for the weekend.
What can you expect to find?
• Play laser tag in a two-story, 3,350-square-foot arena. At a budget-friendly $8-$10 game, your family can choose from dozens of different laser tag games.
• Take aim for spares and strikes; set up a family challenge in the spacious bowling alley. Teens and tweens will love the “cyber bowling” on Friday and Saturday nights, with the overhead lights turned down, the family-friendly music turned up, and the bowling alley emblazoned with disco balls, runway lights, and glow-in-the-dark bowling balls.
• Catch the latest flicks in one of four state-of-the-art movie theaters.
• Get your game on in the 3,600-square-foot arcade which features over 40 games that will bring out your competitive streak for the chance to earn cool prizes in the redemption store. Reloadable game cards start at $20.
• Hungry? Grab dinner in the food court, featuring Smashburger, Subway, and more.
Worried about taking your family through poker tables and slot machines just to get to The District?
“We’ve got a separate entrance into The District, so visitors don’t even have to go through the casino,” points out Black. “In fact, we’ve held special events, parties, and team-building activities for church groups, sports teams and other organizations.”
If you decide to stay for a night or two, don’t miss the Oasis pool area, featuring four pools, cabanas, Coconut’s snack bar, as well as games and activities that even teens can’t resist. The ladies in the family might enjoy an afternoon of pampering at Choctaw’s luxurious spa. (There’s a traditional barber shop for the guys, too.) Also, if you’ve got music buffs in the family, check out the concert line-up in the Choctaw Grand Theater, featuring artists such as Lady Antebellum, John Anderson, and Martina McBride.
Ready to drive north to The District? It’s open daily from 11 a.m. to midnight, Sunday through Thursday, and 10 a.m. to 2 a.m. on Friday and Saturday.
For directions, current promotions, and calendar of events, call Choctaw Casino Resort at 888-652-4628 or visit choctawcasinos.com/choctaw-durant.