Extra virgin olive oil protects against heart disease via numerous mechanisms:
- Reduced Inflammation: Olive oil protects against inflammation, a key driver of heart disease.
- LDL Cholesterol: Olive oil protects LDL particles from oxidative damage – a key step in the heart disease process.
- Improves Endothelial Function: Olive oil improves the function of the endothelium, which is the lining of the blood vessels.
- Blood Clotting: Some studies suggest that olive oil can help prevent unwanted blood clotting, key features of heart attacks and strokes.
- Lower Blood Pressure: One study in patients with elevated blood pressure found that olive oil reduced blood pressure significantly and cut the need for blood pressure meds by 48%.