By The American Heart Association
A garnish of avocado bits, thinly sliced red bell pepper, and crisp tortilla strips adds texture and color to this popular soup.
Servings: 4 | Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts (all visible fat discarded, cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
- 2 cups frozen whole kernel corn (thawed)
- 2 cups fat-free, no-salt-added chicken broth
- 14.5 ounces canned, no-salt-added, diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ancho powder
- 2 medium garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 6- inch corn tortillas (cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips, plus)
- 1 6- inch corn tortilla (torn into pieces)
- 2 to 4 tablespoon snipped, fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup finely chopped avocado
- 1/4 medium red bell pepper (cut into matchstick-size strips)
- In a 3-4 1/2-quart round or oval slow cooker, stir together the chicken, corn, broth, tomatoes with liquid, onion, sugar, ancho powder, garlic, and salt. Cook, covered, on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Arrange the tortilla strips in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until crisp. Transfer the baking sheet to a cooling rack. Let the strips stand for about 15 minutes, or until cool. Transfer to an airtight container and set aside.
- When the soup is ready, transfer 1 cup to a food processor or blender. Stir in the tortilla pieces. Let the mixture stand for 1 minute so the tortilla pieces soften. Process until smooth. Stir the mixture into the soup. Stir in the cilantro.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Sprinkle with the avocado, bell pepper, and reserved baked tortilla strips.
- Cooking Tip: Adding the processed soup and tortilla mixture to the rest of the soup gives the finished product more body and distributes the tortilla flavor.
Calories: 292 Per Serving
Protein: 30g Per Serving
Fiber: 5g Per Serving
To learn more about the Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe from the American Heart Association, click here.