This delicious dessert uses a small amount honey and the natural flavors of seasonal apples and pears to satisfy any sweet craving without the guilt.
- 4 small Granny Smith or Golden Delicious apples and/or pears (can also substitute any variety of apple as available or on sale)
- 1/4 cup unsalted almonds (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons dried, unsweetened cranberries or raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Fill a small baking dish with 1/4 inch of water. Set aside.
- Cut ½ inch off the top of the apples. Reserve the tops.
- Using a spoon or paring knife, core out the apples, leaving the bottoms intact.
- In a small bowl, combine the almonds, cranberries, and cinnamon, stirring gently.
- Drizzle the honey over the almond mixture, stirring until the almonds and cranberries are coated.
- Spoon the almond mixture into the apple cavities. Replace the tops. Place the apples in the baking dish. Bake, covered loosely with aluminum foil, for 30 minutes. Remove the foil. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the apples are tender and lightly golden.
Calories: 153 Per Serving
Protein: 2g Per Serving
Fiber: 5g Per Serving
To learn more about the Baked Apples and Pears with Almonds Recipe from the American Heart Association, click here.