- 1 pound broccoli florets
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 2 cups whole or low-fat milk
- 2 cups 8 ounces shredded cheese (I used an Italian cheese blend)
- 2 large eggs whisked
- 1 tsp salt
- lots of fresh cracked black pepper
- a good grating of fresh nutmeg about 1/8 ~ 1/4 tsp, to taste
- Set oven to 325⁰F
- Lightly butter a casserole dish.
- Chop the broccoli, including the tender stems, into bite-sized pieces. Put in a glass bowl, add a tiny splash of water, and microwave for 2 minutes. Remove and drain really well.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat and add the flour, stir for about a minute. Slowly pour in the milk, whisking or stirring continuously, until it thickens and just comes to a simmer. Remove from heat.
- Let it cool for a minute, and then stir in the cheese, then the eggs, and seasonings. (When I add the beaten eggs I stir or whisk briskly so they don’t scramble). Fold in the broccoli and turn into the casserole.
- Bake for about 1 hour, or until browned and bubbly. You can run it under the broiler for the last minute or two to brown it if you like.