- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium sized onion, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup Guinness
- Salt & pepper to taste
Shepherd’s Pie Cups:
- 2 whole large potatoes
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ⅓ cup chopped carrots
- ⅓ cup sweet peas
- 2 cans (8 oz) refrigerated crescent dough sheet
- In a small pot, heat butter over medium high heat. Add sliced onions and cook until slightly brown and fragrant, 5-10 minutes. Sprinkle with flour and allow to cook 2-3 minutes. Add stout and scrape bottom of pan to deglaze.
- Heat oven to 375°F. Lightly spray 12 standard muffin cups with non-stick cooking spray.
- Peel and quarter potatoes and boil in salted water until tender (about 15 minutes).
- While the potatoes cook, heat olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground beef and cook until browned, occasionally using a spoon to break up the meat.
- Add vegetables to skillet and cook 2-3 minutes until heated through. Taste for seasoning and add salt or pepper as necessary. Add Guinness gravy and mix together.
- Unroll crescent dough on lightly floured work surface. Press dough into a 12×9-inch rectangle, and cut into 12 evenly sized squares. Place one square of dough in each muffin cup, gently pressing dough into bottom and up sides of cup.
- Drain and mash potatoes, adding cream as needed and seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- Fill each dough cup with 1-2 tablespoons of beef filling then top with a spoonful of mashed potatoes. Bake 15-20 minutes until dough is golden brown. Cool 5 minutes before serving.