Indulge in this easy(ish)-to-make and delicious holiday recipe.
- ⅓ cup flour
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅓ teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- Powdered sugar for topping
- 8 oz container of whipped topping
- 1 cup chopped peppermint candy of choice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, line a 15 by 10 inch pan with waxed paper. Grease and flour lined pan, tap out excess.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, using an electric mixer set on medium speed, beat egg yolks and ¼ cup sugar until fluffy.
- In a small bowl, using clean and dry beaters, beat egg whites on high until foamy. Gradually add ½ cup sugar, beating until stiff but not dry. Peaks should form.
- Alternately fold in egg whites and flour mixture into the egg yolk mixture. Pour batter into pan, smooth the top and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (about 15 minutes).
- In a small bowl, mix 8 oz of whipped topping with 1 cup chopped peppermint candy of choice.
Rolling and Filling the Cake:
- Dust a clean cloth with remaining sugar, turn out cake and carefully remove waxed paper.
- Starting with a long side, tightly roll up the cake with the cloth. Transfer, seam side down, to a wire rack to cool for 20 minutes.
- Unroll cake, remove cloth and spread whipped topping over cake and re-roll cake. Place seam side down on a plate and dust with powdered sugar before serving.