- 10 slices cooked bacon, diced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 pounds gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 6 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 12 oz evaporated milk or half and half or heavy cream
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add diced potatoes, diced onion, minced garlic, bacon, parsley and chicken broth to the slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper. Stir and cook for 6-8 hours on low or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Once the soup has cooked, add butter to a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour until completely combined and gradually add in the evaporated milk. Whisk the flour mixture well, until smooth. With the heat on the lowest stove setting, let the mixture cook until it starts to simmer and is getting thicker, stir occasionally.
- Immediately add the milk-flour mixture to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
Using a potato masher, mash about 3/4 of the potatoes.
Stir in the shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream. Stir well, until fully combined and creamy. Season with salt and pepper. Continue cooking the soup on low for 30 minutes or on high for 15 minutes. If the soup is too thick, add more chicken broth.