by Tricia White
The State Fair of Texas® comes only once a year, so it’s important to do it right! Fortunately, DART makes traveling to Fair Park easy. Here are some helpful tips – your survival guide, if you will – to make your journey as hassle-free as possible.
#1 Use GoPass℠, Buy in Advance, Activate Tickets the Day You Go
- Download DART’s free GoPass app to your smartphone from either the App Store or Google Play store.
- Register your mobile ticketing account and set up your payment information.
- Purchase your DART transit passes and/or State Fair of Texas admission tickets from the app. Fair admission tickets purchased through GoPass are discounted at $16 for general admission and $12 for child and/or senior tickets.
- DON’T ACTIVATE your DART passes or State Fair tickets until the day you go to the Fair.
- Find fare information at DART.org/fares.
#2 Plan Ahead on Game Days
College football is a huge attraction at the Fair. DART is especially busy on game days. Keep this year’s football schedule in mind when planning your trip:
- 1: State Fair Classic – Grambling State vs. Prairie View A&M
- 8: Red River Rivalry – Texas vs. Oklahoma
- 15: Air Force Classic – Air Force Academy vs. New Mexico Lobos
#3 Check the DART schedule, it’s different
DART’s normal hours of service are roughly 5 a.m. to midnight. However, during the Fair, DART offers more frequent and extended service, as well as special game-day service. Visit DART.org/statefair to view special DART Rail schedules.
#4 Roll onto the Low-Floor Center Cars
The center car of every DART Rail vehicle is a low-floor section that offers level boarding with the rail platform – perfect for fairgoers with strollers, wagons, wheelchairs, walkers or other mobility devices. DART’s new buses also have low-floor sections and are equipped with ramps that deploy for level boarding from the curb.
#5 Park Free at a DART Station
Save time and gas; skip the hassle and expense of parking at Fair Park; and take advantage of free parking available at many DART transit centers or rail stations with Park & Ride lots. Find out where you can leave your car at DART.org/parking.
We hope this survival guide makes your State Fair of Texas visit a fun adventure!