By Tricia White | Managing Editor
The old Yellow Pages ad campaign stated, “Let your fingers do the walking,” and now that America is being asked to quarantine ourselves at home, that concept is more apropos than ever. Here are some suggestions that will allow you and your family to let your fingers do the keyboard tapping and enjoy some quality time from the comfort and safety of your home.
- zoo.sandiegozoo.org/live-cams San Diego Zoo Live Cams: Pandas and baboons and elephants, oh my!
- naturalhistory.si.edu/visit/virtual-tour Smithsonian Museum of Natural History: Span the ages in your PJs
- artsandculture.google.com/ Google Arts and Culture: Museums and landmarks as far as your screen can see (British Museum, MoMa, O’Keefe, Vatican, and on and on)
- louvre.fr/en/visites-en-ligne#tabs: The Louvre: France’s best at your fingertips
- nps.gov/yell/learn/photosmultimedia/virtualtours.htm Missing the Great Outdoors? Take Yellowstone’s virtual tour to get your nature fix!
- spacecenter.org/app/ NASA’s Augmented Reality App and Virtual Tours: Lift off without lifting off your couch
Big Show/Game Day Entertainment
- NTPA.org Showcase your talent! North Texas Performing Arts (NTPA) presents “North Texas’s Got Talent”, the largest all-ages “Virtual” on-line talent contest in the world!
- NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB, WWE Network: Classic games, iconic matchups, time travel to the greatest moments in sports history
- broadwayhd.com Broadway HD: Take in 7 days of free Broadway!
- marquee.tv Marquee TV: 30 days of ballet, opera, and Shakespeare from the greatest houses in the world all free from your living room
- The Metropolitan Opera: Still want to feel the anticipation of the curtain going up? A different met opera is streamed every night
A Fitter, Zen-er, You
- Peloton: Hours and Hours of Yoga, Strength, Meditation, Running, and Cycling Materials Free for 90 Days
- classpass.com/try/live-workouts ClassPass: more than 2000 audio/video workouts in just about every style you can think of
- Glo: 15 free days of over 4000 classes to kickstart your fitness regimen
- Insights Timer: Over 3000 free meditations and talks to help keep you blissful
- Sacred Journey: 3 months of free yogic meditation to help keep your mind strong and the anxiety manageable
- Texas Legends Host Virtual PE Classes for Local School Districts: Jump into a legendary, free PE class!
- Yale University is offering a free course online, The Science of Well-Being, that teaches you how to be happier.
- victorysteponline.com Owner Varun Tewari and his tenured education team will help your tweens and teens with academic tutoring, test prep, and help with college admissions. Mention Good Life Family for a special offer.
- LinkedIn Learning: 1 free month so you can come out of this a more marketable you
- The Huddle: Virtual retreats targeted to help women manage or create a small business.
- Duolingo: Expand your world view with a new language for free
- rosettastone.com/freeforstudents/ Rosetta Stone: Free for students and teachers for 3 months so you can use this time to become a more versatile communicator
- https://www.cbs.com/cbs-all-access/interstitial/1/ CBS All Access is offering a free month subscription for US viewers, now through April 23. To sign up, use the code GIFT. The code will work for both versions of CBS All Access, with limited commercials (normally $5.99 per month), and commercial free (normally $9.99 per month).
A Breath of Fresh Air
- Take a walk or ride your bike in your neighborhood or discover your local trails (but keep your social distance please).
- Planting time is upon us, and the garden centers are open to help you grow your own fruit and vegetables or a flower garden to brighten your day (and curb appeal). For more information, go to: https://goodlifefamilymag.com/2020/03/15/how-does-your-garden-grow/
- Stay in your car while you take a trip through the gorgeous gardens in Tyler, Texas. See the Azaleas and Dogwood blooms or stay home and take the virtual tour.