A time-honored tradition at the State Fair of Texas, the AT&T Red River Showdown between the University of Oklahoma Sooners and the University of Texas Longhorns has been played at the State Fair since 1929. With an 11 a.m. Texas time kick-off, the State Fair is urging fans to arrive early to make sure they have plenty of time to go through security, not only into the fairgrounds but also into Cotton Bowl Stadium for the game. The Fair is also urging fans to be aware of the new clear bag policy for Cotton Bowl Stadium by visiting BigTex.com/football.
Below are a few reminders for those attending the game at the State Fair of Texas on Saturday, October 12. All times are in Texas time.
- Due to an 11 a.m. local kick-off time, the State Fair will open early to allow fans to arrive and enjoy the Fair before game time, so plan your travel to the fairgrounds accordingly.
- State Fair Will Call will open at 6:30 a.m.
- Official State Fair parking lots and all gates will open at 7 a.m.
- Coupon Booths and Online Coupon Pick up Centers will open at 7 a.m.
- Purchase coupons ahead of time at BigTex.com and skip the long lines. Pick up your coupons at a Hospitality Center instead of a Coupon Booth.
- Hospitality Centers and Information Booths will open at 7 a.m.
- Outdoor concessions, including the Tower Building Food Court, will open at 8 a.m.
- The State Fair of Texas Midway will open at 8 a.m.
- FOX Sports will air a special two-hour edition of BIG NOON KICKOFF delivered by Wendy’s to the State Fair of Texas LIVE from 9 a.m.-11 a.m. on Saturday in front of the Hall of State on Lone Star Boulevard. The BIG NOON SATURDAY matchup, Oklahoma vs. Texas, kicks off at 11 a.m. Texas time on FOX. Fans are urged to arrive early.
- All exhibit buildings, outdoor exhibits, and indoor concessions (except the Tower Building, which opens earlier) will open at 9 a.m.
- Gates to the Cotton Bowl will open at 9 a.m.
- Game tickets will be scanned at all Cotton Bowl gates.
- For the safety of all game attendees, a clear bag policy is in effect for all events at the Cotton Bowl Stadium within Fair Park. Visit bigtex.com/football for more details.
- DART trains and buses will become more crowded as game-time approaches and at locations closer to Fair Park.
- The Fair has enhanced its metal detection at all pedestrian gates to include walkthrough metal detectors. Please read any signage and listen to gate attendants for directions upon entry.
- For a list of items allowed and not allowed at the Fair, visit bigtex.com/faq.
- For a list of prohibited items in the Cotton Bowl, visit bigtex.com/football.
- After the game, be sure to stick around to enjoy the fun and attractions the State Fair of Texas has to offer, see the Mattress Firm Illumination Sensation at 8 p.m. along the Esplanade, and see country music artists, Big & Rich with special guest Cowboy Troy perform on the Chevrolet Main Stage at 8:30 p.m.
- For a full schedule of events, visit bigtex.com/schedule.
To learn more about additional enhancements to Cotton Bowl Stadium this year, including increased beer sales in the Cotton Bowl, click here.
All game tickets include admission to the State Fair of Texas. With more than 100 things to do, all included with admission, the State Fair of Texas is the best tailgate experience of the year. This year’s Fair runs through Sunday, October 20.
About the State Fair of Texas
Since its inception in 1886, the State Fair of Texas has celebrated all things Texan by promoting agriculture, education, and community involvement through quality entertainment in a family-friendly environment. The State Fair of Texas is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with proceeds helping to preserve and improve our home, Fair Park; underwrite museums, community initiatives, and scholarship programs to support students throughout the Lone Star State pursuing higher education; and help improve State Fair operations. The 2019 exposition runs September 27 through October 20 in Fair Park. Visit BigTex.com for more information.