Recipes courtesy of Bobbie Ames | Contributor
Try one of these delicious handcrafted cocktails to add a festive note to your holiday season. To make your cocktail a holiday cocktail, use ingredients that create deep elegant colors or warm spicy hues. To take it up a notch, add something sparkling – prosecco, sparkling wine or Champagne. Your signature cocktail should be easy to prepare ahead of time and so simple to serve that your guests can even serve themselves.
Coming Up Roses
A perfectly elegant concoction! (8 servings)
- 4 limes, sliced into wedges
- 5 oz. rose syrup (buy it or make your own)
- 16 oz. Bacardi Razz or other raspberry rum
- 16 oz. brut Champagne
- 24 rose petals
- Muddle the lime wedges and rose syrup.
- Add the Bacardi Razz, pour into a glass pitcher and refrigerate. When ready to serve, pour into highball glasses filled with ice.
- Top each glass with 2 oz. chilled Champagne and garnish with rose petals.
Cinnamon Fig Martini
Spicy and special, the fig is the surprise ingredient that adds that deep purple hue. (8 servings)
- 12 oz. vodka (Belvedere is my favorite)
- 2 oz. Grand Marnier
- 12 oz. lime juice, fresh squeezed if possible
- 8 oz. blood orange juice
- 3 tbsp. simple syrup
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 8 fresh fig slices
- Mix all ingredients, except fig slices, in a glass pitcher and refrigerate.
- When ready to serve, pour one serving into a cocktail shaker filled with ice, shake and pour/strain into a martini glass.
- Garnish with a fig slice.
The Ginger Caipirissima
The ginger brings a little heat and tang to this drink, and it’s as refreshing as it is festive. (8 servings)
- 5 – 6 limes, sliced into wedges (40-48 wedges)
- 8 cubes brown sugar
- 6 oz. ginger syrup (buy it or make your own)
- 16 oz. white rum
- Crystallized ginger for garnish – optional
- Muddle lime wedges and sugar cubes, reserving 8 wedges for garnish.
- Mix with ginger syrup and rum and transfer to a glass pitcher. When ready to serve, stir vigorously and pour into collins (short) glasses filled with crushed ice.
- Garnish each glass with a lime wedge and a piece of crystallized ginger, if desired.
Ruby Red Grapefruit Fizz
- Mix together ¾ cup sparkling wine, 1 tablespoon Cointreau, ¼ cup fresh-squeezed ruby red grapefruit juice.
- Add ice cubes.
For a non-alcoholic version of any of these specialty drinks, simply replace the alcohol with equal amounts of club soda. Don’t forget to garnish!